Monday, November 9, 2009

Cell Phone Refuseniks


Ohh Yes! How sweet it would be to periodically abandon the cell phone and regain my lost freedom. Some days I longingly wish I had left my cell phone home so that I would not find myself habitually checking the time or making pointless phone calls. Although the cell phone provides mobility and connectivity, it is also a tether and a burden at times. Such as when my parents call me to yell at me for something, just because they feel the urge, or when some idiot friend calls to ask me a favor which I really don't want to do, but feel compelled to. To be released from these bonds is sometimes what I really wish I would do.

I thought it was very telling that Gregory Han, one of the Refuseniks interviewed for the NY Times Article, utilizes Skype, email, and instant messaging but finds the cell phone irritating. I am not saying I think he's a hyporcite, not at all. I just find it interesting that he finds that one particular technology too constricting. There is a certain attraction to Internet connectivity via a PC rather than connectivity via a smart phone. Personally, I feel being tethered to a smart phone with Internet and Email availability kind of means you will never be able to escape the lure and the pull of the network. You can never have a moment to develop your own thoughts, because the network is right there in your pocket all of the time.


Then again, being able to get in contact with others when I need them is very convenient. Being connected does allow one to take action immediately, find out important information in just a few minutes (instead of hours or days), and to find out whether there is food waiting at home or if I should spend money on General Tso's tonight. The benefits of having a cell phone are sooo tempting, they almost make the argument against this mobile technology specious and emotional.

In conclusion, I really don't know for sure how I feel about the Cell. Maybe I will take it with me one day, and leave it home the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment