Monday, October 19, 2009

Dealing in denial....

I remember a discussion that we had in class a few weeks ago concerning the value of public radio stations. As I recall, many of us dismissed public radio as being too political, too biased, or too irrevalant to be useful. Then, and now, I most strenuously say you guys need to consider this radio station.

WNYC is probably THE BEST public talk radio station that I have every heard. There isn't much music to listen, and there definately is now POP 10 countdown, but what you will find on this station is interesting and engaging reports about everything from politics to science to alternative energy to literature to theatre to car talk. If I had money to spare, I would definately donate to the radio station each year. Since I'm broke though, I can only advocate for its value to the class. Anyone who has not listened to WNYC should tune in through one day to discover for themselves.

On that note, I still say giving it up for a few days is not that difficult. Am I contradicting myself? Nah. ITs a great station, but I can live without it. How, because I still have stuff to do everyday, though with it I can learn about what's going on in NYC and in the Country, and I can hear intelligent discussion about these events. For example, I've been hearing alot about Bill Thompson and all of his policies, and it wasn't until saturday that I actually saw a picture of him. If I had only seen the poster, I would ask "Who's bill Thompson?"

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I feel the exact same way about my Facebook page. I love checking it, and I like learning little tidbits of information from it. In the same way as your radio station, it isn't exactly necessary in my life and I could get along just fine with out it. I could probably even make the argument that the same could be said for just about every technology that exists in social media...but I don't want to get shot so I'll leave it at that :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah.....watch out for those Facebook addicts. They'll bite your head off if you disrespect Facebook..

    ReplyDelete